- Patient Services
- OCD Program
- Supervision Training
- About Us
Anxiety in Children
Providing Evidence-Based Treatment to Children Suffering from Anxiety Disorders
All children experience some level of anxiety which can be developmentally appropriate. However, when anxiety begins to interfere with school, family or social functioning, evaluation and treatment may be needed. Often children with anxiety and depression go unnoticed. It is important to identify these children and provide interventions at an early age, so that they can develop coping skills to deal with stress throughout their lifespan.
We have extensive experience and success treating the following:
- Test Anxiety
- Obsessive Compulsive Spectrum Disorders
- Generalized Anxiety Disorder – Worry
- Blood and Needle Phobia
- Specific Phobias – such as fears of elevators, bees, dogs
- Panic Disorder
- Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder
- Trichotillomania – hair pulling disorder
- Social Anxiety
- Selective Mutism – refusal to speak to people in some settings
Cognitive Therapy of Staten Island provides comprehensive services to children with anxiety disorders, including
- Cognitive Behavior Therapy
- Relaxation Training
- Parent Training
- Social Skills Training and Groups
- Parent Groups
- Skill Building Groups
- Career Assessment and Counseling
Comprehensive psychological evaluations are also available.
Obtaining an accurate diagnosis is critical to receiving the appropriate treatment. Some children require a comprehensive psychological evaluation. This procedure involves a thorough assessment of the child, including an analysis of strengths and weaknesses, to determine if a diagnosis is present.
Tools often utilized include:
- Behavioral Observations: how the child interacts and behaves in the evaluation process
- Standardized Norm-Based Measures of Cognitive Abilities and Academic Achievement: measures of intelligence and academic performance that compare your child’s performance to his or her same age peers
- Parent, Child and Teacher Report: an interview or informal paper and pencil tests
- Personality Inventories, Behavior Rating Scales and Thought Inventories: questionnaires completed, socred and compared to same age and gender peers
Trust your instincts. If your child isn’t his or her usual self, just can’t cope or seems overly fearful, contact us today. We can help.
Expert evidence-based CBT is not widely available to Staten Islanders. Our mission is to bring state-of-the-art treatment to our local residents. In efforts to make treatment more affordable, we offer reduced fee individual treatment delivered by licensed master’s degree level clinicians (working on an out-of-network basis) or post-graduates and doctoral interns.
Saturday appointments are available.